Take a look at the anticipated new Apple features announced during the WWDC 2020 Event keynote.
The all-online Apple Worldwide Developers Conference 2020 held last 22-26 June 2020 has undoubtedly got developers and Apple fans excited with their up and coming features. Now on its 31st year, the entirely all-online format — a change from their usual WWDC events which were held generally in the San Jose Convention Center in California in the past — allowed Apple to reach out to developers, consumers, and press in a new experience even during the pandemic.
So what are the new things to look forward to this year? Here is a list of features that Apple announced during the WWDC 2020 Event keynote.
- App Library: A new space for organizing all of your apps into a grouped library, making it easier to navigate.
- Widgets: Seamlessly search and choose widgets and put them in a Smart Stack on your home screen. The Smart Stack can also display widgets automatically based on the time of the day you set them. For example, you can read the news in the morning, show upcoming meetings at noon, and workout activity in the evening.
- Picture in picture: You can open a video, audio, or other media while you are on another application.
- Siri: A redesigned Siri experience. It now pops up from the bottom of the screen if you are launching the app. Siri has also improved and is now 20x faster.
- Translate: A new translation application with advanced on-device machine learning and a powerful neural engine.
- Messages: You can now pin conversations, use beautiful animations, and have more emoji options.
- Groups: See inline replies, which means you can now view answers to full conversations in their thread. You can also now mention users automatically by typing their name. You can even now personalize your groups with the all-new header options.
- Maps: More maps to support more countries: UK, Ireland and Canada
- Guides: Show great places to eat, explore, meet a friend, and added dedicated cycling direction on the map
- EV Routing: Navigations will now show charging stations compatible to your electric car
- CarPlay: EV Charging, Quick Food, Parking and new wallpaper
- Digital CarKey: Leave your key at home and use a digital key to start your engine (supports BMW 104i for now)
- App Clips: A lightweight and fast way to used apps. Use this feature to quickly get what you need right and where you need it.
- All-new sidebar: Lot of powerful capabilities, and features such as drag-drop and switching tabs
- Compact design for Siri similar to iOS14
- You can now dismiss and accept notification easily. Search also gets a re-design, allowing you to search anywhere.
- Scribble: Hand-write on field text and automatically convert it to a text
- Automatic switching in AirPod so you can seamlessly move between devices without manually changing it.
- Spatial Audio: You can now play sound virtually everywhere and create an immersive listening experience.
- Watch faces launch new designs.
- Face sharing: Easily get and share watch faces
- Watch OS 7 can now track dancing — and will now be called Fitness.
- Apple Watch now has sleep tracking.
- Wind down: Minimizing distraction and creating a personalized routine
- Automatic handwash detection to make sure you wash hands properly for at least 20 seconds
Location, Privacy, and Security
- You can now change your sign-in to Apple service.
- Option to only share your approximate location
- Record indicator when apps access device camera and microphone
- Apps using cross-app tracking will now have to ask permission from users.
- Apple now supports HomeKit Secure video so it can help recognize who is at your door using facial recognition.
- New Privacy Report on Safari helps identify trackers and prevent these sites from profiling you. Also, developers selling apps on the app store will now need to explain the privacy practices of their products.
- New macOS: Big Sur
- Finder, Mail, and Photo apps now sport new designs.
- The control center comes with a new design similar to iOS and iPadOS. It will also now be the home of both notifications and widgets.
- Messages gets new design and features.
- Maps also gets a re-design. You can also now make a new guide and create favorite, includes enhancement of extensions in Safari.
- You can now use translation in Safari.
- There will be a two-year transition moving from Intel-based Mac to Apple Silicon in new upcoming ARM MacBook start at the end of the year.